Get to know the superwomen in your community in our new series, Interview with a Mamapreneur. We’ll be featuring local entrepreneurs & moms to find out how they run a successful business—and household. This month, meet Jenn…
1. Tell us about your business.
I am the proud founder / owner / trainer / all-things-relating-to Baby Mama Fitness. I help new Mamas get their old fitness and confidence back through in-person classes and online programs.
2. Tell us about your family.
I am a Maritime Lady who fell in love with a Toronto Dude and never looked back. We now have a Little Dude who is 3.5 years old and all kinds of trouble / wonder.
3. What led you to become a mamapreneur?
Everything changed when I had my son. I was tired of people dictating what I did with my life and how my time would be used. I wanted more freedom—and to do something I was truly passionate about. I worked my butt off during my mat leave to launch Baby Mama Fitness, and now I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love my job and my Mamas more than anything… other than my son… and my husband.
4. What are your strategies for running a business and a household at the same time?
Pure chaos! Joking! I had to learn quickly to grab those small moments of time and make use of them—whether that meant grabbing 45 minutes of laptop time to further my biz while the Little Dude napped or grabbing that hour of focused time at the wading pool with my kid before I headed out to train a mama client.
5. What do you do to de-stress?
1) Headspace (a meditation app) has changed my life. I struggle with postpartum anxiety and it has helped immensely.
2) I stretch my body. Things can get so tight when you carry around a 40 lb toddler…
3) Anything to do with water. Baths. Swimming. Steam room. Rowing. I feel most like myself when I’m on or in the water.
6. What are your biggest challenges when it comes to finding time for yourself?
I am SLOWLY learning that I don’t have to work every moment my son isn’t around. It’s hard for me to turn off and not take advantage of those pre-schooler free moments. But also BABYSITTERS! Because the work is so random for them, it can be hard to find one who is able to stay dedicated to you and your schedule. (This is where Datenight Babysitting has saved us! Having a roster of babysitters to choose from has given us so much peace of mind.)
7. What qualities do you look for in a babysitter or caregiver?
My Little Dude is RIDICULOUSLY active. He never ever stops. Ever. It is a huge deal for me when I see his babysitter running with him and initiating movement games instead of just standing on the sidelines. Also a good snuggler is really important to my kid. 😉
8. How often did you and your partner go on “dates” before kids?
We really really like each other so we ‘dated’ daily—which could be something as simple as just hanging out. 🙂
9. How often do the two of you get out now?
It took us a while to get into the groove but now we go on a date every Wednesday night. Before our Little Dude came along, we took that time for granted. After he was born, we both became a little resentful of how little time we had for each other. Our weekly date night is now non-negotiable. We are much happier people and way better parents when we get this dedicated time together.
10. What are your top 3 favourite date nights?
1. My hubby and I don’t have traditional schedules so we love a good afternoon date of sitting on a patio and having chats and drinks and tacos.
2. We are very active people so we will regularly go to a YIN yoga class and we will walk to and from the class holding hands to get some connection time in.
3. I love the heat waves in Toronto and we take advantage when the pools are open later because of the heat. Having a night swim is so refreshing and sexy. (Am I allowed to say that!?!)
About Jenn Green & Baby Mama Fitness
Jenn Green is a super-mom and super-trainer for new moms who want to get their pre-baby fitness back in a realistic, healthful way. She combines fierce fitness with nutrition know-how to help baby mamas heal from childbirth and start getting strong again. You can find her running her signature bootcamp (while telling hilarious stories) over at Baby Mama Fitness.
Special discount for Datenight members: Receive 15% off your first online program or bootcamp session. To take advantage of this offer, simply contact Jenn and let her know you read about it on the Datenight blog.
This post was brought to you by Datenight Babysitting — Toronto’s leading mobile app connecting parents with experienced, local babysitters — with thousands of dates booked in the GTA.