What if a parent asks me to babysit outside of Datenight??
Although this is an unlikely scenario (since both parents and babysitters have signed contracts asking them not to do this) – it could happen.
Datenight looks out for babysitters in the following ways:
- Datenight wants you to be safe. We have the address where you are babysitting on file and we strongly discourage you from babysitting at any other locations without it going through the Datenight system.
- Datenight is protecting your hourly rate. Often babysitting is considered an “easy task” and people look to pay as little as possible for it, even though it’s a tough job. You set your rate with Datenight that prevents haggling over what you’re worth.
- Datenight wants to help ensure that you get home safe. Datenight asks parents to contribute towards your fare (which you will receive with your babysitting payment) so that you can afford a cab home. This way, there is no question about whether or not you should accept rides from parents. To be on the safe side — you shouldn’t. You have no way of knowing whether they are safe to drive and as such, you are choosing to put yourself at risk by accepting one.
- Datenight wants to help you babysit as much as you want. We reach out to families when you say that you want to babysit to try to find you work.
- Datenight takes much of the advertising, organization and scheduling out of your hands.
Possible responses to requests to work outside of Datenight are:
- “I’m sorry, I really like working through Datenight — it’s helped me to get a lot of babysitting jobs”
- “Datenight handles all the small details of scheduling — it makes my life much easier”
- “I signed a contract and I’m not comfortable breaking it”
- “I think that it’s just so much easier for everyone to schedule this way”
Datenight is a small business. To run it — we need to make money somehow. Rather than charging babysitters up front to be connected with work — we opt to charge babysitters only when we help them make money. We believe that Datenight saves babysitters a lot of time – babysitters don’t have to advertise, put up flyers, reply to a ton of emails — we take care of all of that, plus we remind babysitters when they need to be where. So help us keep up and running and work within the system.
If you’re interested in the story of how Datenight got started, it’s here:
The Story of Datenight