Topics to Discuss Before you Leave for your Datenight
At Datenight Babysitting, we want both parents and babysitters to have a successful night. Here is a short-list of topics that we strongly recommend both parents and babysitters discuss so that expectations are clear for both of you. For a more in-depth list, please click here.
- What to do if the child doesn’t want to sleep OR wakes up unexpectedly while the parent is gone (ie. should the babysitter let the child cry and if so, for how long? Should the babysitter take the child out of bed to comfort the child, give the child milk, sing a song etc).
- If the babysitter has to use the washroom, should the child be taken in the bathroom with the babysitter or left alone for a few minutes? If the child is to be left alone, what is the safest space to put them in?
- If the child is acting out, how should the babysitter handle it? What methods of discipline are they permitted to use?
- If you come home late, are you ok with the babysitter sleeping on your couch or would prefer that they stay awake?
- What is the policy on screen time?
- Should the babysitter insist that the child eat all of his/her dinner or allow the child to eat only what they want?
- What snacks are permitted for the child and in what portions?
- Under what circumstances should the parent be contacted? If the babysitter cannot reach the parents in event of an emergency, who should the babysitter call?